Job Title: Program Manager Basic Education
Program Manager Basic Education (1 position Re advertised )
Duty Station: Kampala
The Program Manager, Basic Education will work under the direct control and supervision of the Program Director.
The Programme Manager Basic Education will take the lead in developing and managing Save the Children’s Basic Education technical portfolio of education programs in the country and will be responsible for achievement of program goals and objectives, and for reportng on program implementation and outcomes. The Programme Manager Basic Education, with specific expertise in Basic Education, will be responsible for overall management of Basic Education projects, coordination of all project activities and the completion of all Basic Education requirements in Uganda. The Programme Manager Basic Education will also provide line management supervision to education partnership managers in the-field.
In addition, the Programme Manager Basic Education will be responsible for working with the Education Leadership Team to develop the overall Education strategy, increasing staff capacity to deliver high quality programmes and advocacy at a national and regional level to be the voice for children in Uganda. This will include overseeing effective implementation of planned objectives for Education, the provision of technical guidance to on-going programmes, assistance to and leadership of fundraising efforts and proposal development activities, and representation of the Basic Education portfolio to external stakeholders.
Academic back ground, Experience & Person Specifications;
• A minimum of Bachelors degree with a focus on in a field such as Social Sciences, Education, Development Studies, or another relevant field. Graduate or post-graduate training in project
- planning & management, monitoring and evaluation, community development & research or related field is an added advantage
• A minimum of 8 years relevant working experience with at least 3 years at management level in an international NGO.
• Thorough understanding and demonstrated commitment to child rights issues, and the direct link between children’s rights and laws and policies of government.
• Commitment to gender equity, child rights, community empowerment, and grassroots development approaches
• Working knowledge of Basic Education (formal, non formal, vocational ed. and emergency ed.) programming and policy development.
• Understanding of national government policy frameworks on Education and how to contribute to child development with political analysis skills, sensitivity and diplomacy.
• A professional progression towards increasing technical responsibilities.
• Strong financial, planning and budget management skills and experience.
• Strategic management skills
• Planning, organising and People management skills – team building
• Effective interpersonal skills – oral and written communication skills
• Computer literacy skills – MS Office applications, word, excel, PowerPoint, Spread sheets
• Strong facilitation, presentation, documentation and advocacy skill
How to Apply
Applications with detailed CVs indicating 3 referees, two of whom should have been direct supervisors and copies of academic testimonials/ certificates should be submitted to;
The Head of Human Resources & Administration Save the Children in Uganda Plot 68/70, Kira Road, P 0 Box 12018 – Kampala Or on email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Closing date for receiving applications is 25th June 2012. Candidates are therefore encouraged to apply at the earliest opportunity.
Save the Children in Uganda is an equal opportunity employer, female candidates are encouraged to apply.