Job Title: Health Programme Specialist (System Stregthening), P-3, Kampala, Uganda
Vacancy No: E-VN-2013-000657
Duty Station: Kampala
Job Level: P-3
Contract Type: Long-term Staff (FT)
Purpose of the Position
Under the guidance of the Chief of CSD/Alive, you will be responsible for the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Health, Nutrition and WASH information systems.
Key Expected Results
1. Assists government authorities to plan and organize capacity building of the Child Survival/Alive programme. Identifies training needs for the purpose of system strengthening, capacity building and sustainability of the programme.
2. Undertakes field visits to monitor use of technology for rapid reports of programme activities, as well as conducts periodic programme reviews with government counterparts and other partners. Identifies necessary action for programme adjustments. Provides technical advice and assistance to government officials and other partners in the planning and management of programme/projects.
3. Meets with national and international agencies covering the management of programme/projects. Participates in meetings with Ministries responsible for programme/project review, and follows up on implementation of recommendations and agreements. Assists in the development and/or introduction of new approaches, methods and practices in project management and evaluation.
4. Contributes towards the preparation of the Situation Analysis by compiling data, analyzing and evaluating information, and writing chapters of the Analysis.
5. Designs, prepares, implements, monitors and evaluates health and nutrition programme activities. Analyzes and evaluates data and takes corrective action when necessary, to meet health and nutrition programme objectives.
6. Prepares the sectoral documents for the Country Programme Document (CPD) and Plans of Action.
7. Participates in the development of the work plan, and ensures compliance with specific assigned objectives. Provides guidance and support to staff to manage and implement projects.
8. Coordinates with the Operations/Supply staff on supply and non-supply assistance activities ensuring proper and timely UNICEF and Government accountability. Certifies disbursements of funds, monitors and submits financial status reports to Senior Programme Officer or Representative as required
9. Participates in intersectoral collaboration with other programme colleagues. Assists in development of appropriate communication and information strategy to support and advocate programme development.
10. Writes programme/project status reports required for management Board, donors, budget review, programme analysis, annual reports, etc.
11. Ensures the accurate and timely input of programme information in computerized programme system and the issuance of status reports for monitoring and evaluation purposes.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Advanced university degree in any of the following: Social Sciences, Public Administration, International Relations, Business Administration, Public Health, Education, or other fields related to the work of UNICEF.*
Five years of relevant work experience in social development, project administration, monitoring and evaluation, some at the international level.
Fluency in English required and another UN language an advantage. Knowledge of local working language of the duty station an asset.
*A first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
Communicates effectively to varied audiences, including during formal public speaking.
Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
Has good leadership and supervisory skills; co-ordinates group activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear.
Translates strategic direction into plans and objectives.
Analyzes and integrates diverse and complex quantitative and qualitative data from a wide range of sources.
Quickly builds rapport with individuals and groups; maintains an effective network of individuals across organizational departments.
Identifies urgent and potentially difficult decisions and acts on them promptly; initiates and generates team- and department-wide activities.
Demonstrates, applies and shares expert technical knowledge across the organization.
How to Apply:
Closing date; 24/04/2013