Job Title: GRAAP II Program Manager
Closing date: 17 Jun 2012 THE ORGANIZATION Heartland Alliance for Human Needs & Human Rights Heartland Alliance for Human Needs & Human Rights is the largest service-based human rights organization in the United States, with over 1,000 employees in Chicago and around the world. Heartland Alliance is currently implementing programs in 15 countries in Africa, the Middle East, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean. In recent years Heartland Alliance has developed a position as a global leader in health, rights and protections programming for sexual minority populations in the Global South. In Nigeria, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, and the Great Lakes Region of Africa, Heartland Alliance is working closely with and supporting local LGBT organizations to address the needs of specific sexual minority populations. THE PROGRAM Great Lakes Regional Anti-Trafficking Protection Partnership ( GRAPP ) Program Manager provides management oversight of a regional anti-trafficking project to strengthen government and civil society collaboration and engagement in providing protection and resettlement services to victims of trafficking in Burundi and the Democratic Republic of the Congo ( DRC ). GRAPP II marks the second phase of GRAPP , and builds on three years of trafficking programming in the region. The project will coordinate closely with key government ministries, international stakeholders and civil society, and includes the provision of direct services to victims of trafficking and the management of a trafficking shelter center in Uvira, DRC . THE POSITION The Program Manager position is based in Bujumbura, Burundi, and requires frequent travel to South Kivu, the DRC . This position is contingent upon funding from an external donor. Final funding decisions will be made by the donor in the coming 2 – 4 months.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
GRAPP Program Management (80%)
• Oversee program launch, including hiring project staff as necessary
• Manage all project staff, including a clinical mental health supervisor, mental health counselors, project coordinators, and shelter staff
• Oversee and ensure the timely implementation of key project activities
• Ensure compliance with all programmatic and financial requirements, including the preparation and submission of timely donor reports
• Oversee management and implementation support to local and international partners
• Provide updates to the Great Lakes Regional Director regarding service issues, strategic planning and other management issues
• Develop and maintain working relationships with government entities, non-governmental organizations, grassroots groups, and civic associations and other key stakeholders, in particular the Ministry of Labor in Burundi, the Ministry of Mines in the DRC , the ILO and UNODC
• Manage preparation of the monthly administrative and program report, and assure sub-grantee compliance with reporting requirements
• Consistently measure project performance with stated goals and objectives
• Assure compliance with Heartland Alliance personnel policies
• Regular travel to Uvira, the DRC to ensure management oversight of the shelter center
• Perform all other duties as assigned; Program Development (20%)
• Assist in preparation of project proposals for external donors, including coordinating with potential local partners, developing budgets, and drafting narratives
Education and/or Experience:
3 years project management experience. Preferred experience managing USG grants. Knowledge or experience with counter trafficking programming, particularly in sub-Saharan Africa. Language Skills: Fluency in French strongly preferred; multi-cultural experience required.
How to apply: To learn more about this position and to apply, please visit: http://www.heartlandalliance.org/whoweare/careers/search-careers.html *Please note that we do not consider resumes sent by email, fax or postal mail.