Job Title: Communication & Engagement Coordinator
Communication & Engagement Coordinator:
The MRC/UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS was established following a request in 1988 from the Uganda Government to the British Government for collaboration on the research of HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) infection and AIDS (Acquired Immunodeficiency. The Unit is a centre of excellence in HIV/AIDS related research. It conducts large-scale epidemiological and intervention studies, clinical trials, virological and immunological research and behavioural studies, and has generated a wealth of research results that have been used to inform policy and practice, and that have led to a large number of scientific publications in peer reviewed journals over time. The Unit is based at Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI) in Entebbe and invites applications from suitably qualified Ugandans to fill position of:
Communication & Engagement Coordinator
To coordinate all aspects of communications and community engagement, across the operations of the MRC stations located in Entebbe, Masaka town, Kalungu District and Kampala. The holder will report to the Unit Director.
Roles & Responsibilities
1. Ensure that information on Unit activities is effectively shared internally and with all relevant stakeholders (internationally, nationally and locally) and where necessary facilitate the translation of research findings into policy and practice
2. Coordinate communications with the media
3. Coordinate internal sharing of research findings and other Unit information
4. Train Unit personnel on communication activities
5. Develop, coordinate the implementation and monitoring of the Unit’s community development activities
6. Assist in the management of the community development and counselling teams in collaboration with relevant project leaders
7. Identify potential collaborators to engage in shared local community engagement activities
8. Maintain financial oversight of activities under their leadership, ensuring that expenditure is within budget limits, working in consultation with Programme Heads and the Director.
9. Represent the Programme Heads/Director at national and international meetings.
10. Work in close collaboration with staff from all programmes and section and external researchers, as may be appropriate, and as agreed with the Director
11. Keep an up-to-date list of the Unit’s publications and presentations at national or international fora.
Education, Skills and Experience needed
• An advanced degree either in communication, social science, or public health.
• Sound knowledge of media and community development is a requirement. ’
• Experience in communication of health research and stakeholder engagement (including participating communities, civil society and government, as well as international research organisations).
• Significant knowledge of HIV/AIDS related communication
• Membership with a recognised communications or public relations institution will be an added advantage.
• Competent use of Microsoft word, Microsoft excel, PowerPoint and Nvivo
• Competence in desk top publishing
Terms and conditions: Successful applicants will serve a 2 year contract with a possibility of renewal inclusive of a 6 months’ probation.
Other terms and conditions for the post are within the MRC salary scales and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Location: The position will be based in Entebbe with frequent travel to the field.
Start date: As soon as possible
How to Apply
Applications including copies of academic qualifications, curriculum vitae and names plus telephone contact details of two (2) referees should either be addressed to:
The Human Resources & Administration Manager MRC/UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS Uganda Virus Research Institute P. 0. Box 49 Entebbe
Or sent by email: email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 28th May 2012.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.